Business Operations Officer (Projects and Governance)
Liverpool or Hybrid Working (Liverpool 2-3 days a week)
Kaplan International Pathways, a division of Kaplan Inc., offers international students a wide range of flexible study options - from university preparation programmes in the UK, Australia, USA and Japan through to full degree programmes in Singapore, Hong Kong and Australia. Through our academic partnerships with leading universities, our expertise in student recruitment, our exceptional teaching and a real focus on customer service and pastoral care, each year we are proud to welcome thousands of students from more than 100 countries through the doors of our colleges.
In the UK, we operate 9 campus-based colleges in partnership with Bournemouth University, University of Glasgow, University of Liverpool, Nottingham Trent University, University of Nottingham, University of Brighton, University of Essex, University of York and University of West of England, Bristol and an off-campus college in London offering pathways to 7 leading well-ranked UK universities.
Business Operations Team
The Business Operations Team works closely with colleagues across Kaplan International Pathways to play an integral role in the set-up and roll-out of new colleges and initiatives for the UK or specific in-country locations. The team also works closely with colleagues in colleges and centralised business areas to ensure effective use of student information systems and processes. The team plays an integral role in the reporting of data to the Office of Students and the Higher Education Statistics Agency since Kaplan International Colleges UK Ltd was granted approved (fee cap) status in 2020 which involves working closely with colleagues in other parts of the company.
Examples of key projects and initiative where the Business Operations Team has played an integral role within Kaplan International Pathways: set-up of new pathway colleges with the University of Nottingham and the University of Essex; operationalising new pathway relationships between Kaplan’s pathway college in London and the University of Bristol and Queen Mary, University of London; role-out of new Student Management System, including training and production of the materials to support the roll-out; annual reviews and updates of information to support key operational areas for Kaplan International Pathways; and a wide range of other projects and initiatives.
You will be responsible for a range of new and existing areas within the Business Operations Team to support the smooth running and enhancement of activities across Kaplan International Pathways. The role will appeal to individuals who enjoy working with others in a fast-paced, dynamic environment with varied responsibilities. You are likely to be involved in a range of initiatives where you may be leading, coordinating or supporting depending on the nature of the work to be undertaken. The role will involve supporting other members of the Business Operations Team and colleagues across Kaplan International Pathways. The role is likely to involve travel from time to time within the UK.
Main responsibilities and functions
- Support the team in OfS and HESA reporting including the Student Record, Higher Education Business and Community Interaction record, Provider record and the Annual Financial Return
- Accountable for the completion of the HESA Graduate Outcomes cohort returns
- Support and contribute to external governance consultations
- Provide considerable support to the team in the development of HESA Data Futures reporting, testing and feedback
- Assist in the analysis of complex data, being able to interpret its meaning and present the findings in a clear and concise way
- Be a point of contact for colleges regarding statutory report queries including student equality information, Graduate Outcomes contact plan and NSS updates
- Assist with business operations projects which may include involvement from start to finish or ad-hoc project queries
- Assist with enhancement and development requests to improve current capabilities and perform testing on changes.
- Any other duties as required from time to time by the Head of Business Operations Unit to ensure the successful operation and performance of the team.
- Ability to analyse and interpret complex sets of data and summarise key information
- Ability and desire to work in a fast-paced, high-volume operational environment
- Accurate and detail focused
- Knowledge of, and experience of working in a customer service environment with excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong IT skills (particularly Excel e.g., VLOOKUPs, pivot tables, formatting of data)
- Ability to use own initiative and work well as part of a team
- Strong organisational and time management skills with a proven ability in attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and writing skills.
- Meticulous attention to detail and ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability to respond and act on changing deadlines and priorities as the business requires
- Ability to work collaboratively both within and across a range of teams.
Please apply with a CV and covering letter. Closing date: 5th October 2022
At Kaplan International, we are committed to working in a diverse organisation and strive to provide equality of opportunity for all. We encourage and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender reassignment or identity, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnership. If as a disabled applicant (as defined under the Equality Act 2010) you would like to request that your application is considered under our Guaranteed Interview Scheme (GIS) please let us know using this form
Disclaimer and revision date
This is a non-exhaustive list of the duties of the above role and the person specification of the job holder. The Company reserves the right to amend this document as the needs of the business require.
As part of our commitment to safeguarding, successful candidates will be subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check.
Applicants must be able to provide proof of eligibility to work in the UK.