English Language Teacher
Kaplan International Languages - Mission Statement and Core Values
Kaplan helps individuals achieve their educational and career goals. We build futures one success story at a time. Our core values of Integrity, Knowledge, Results, Support and Opportunity define our company culture and provide the framework for what we deliver to our customers and employees each day. We succeed when our students succeed. All Kaplan divisions, including Kaplan International Languages, share the same Mission and Values as our parent company, Kaplan, Inc.
Location: The post is based in one KI Languages Bath but may require occasional attendance at other sites within the UK or Ireland and online.
Reports: This position reports to the Director of Studies.
Objective: Teachers deliver well planned, engaging and successful lessons in line with the KI Languages Teaching Standards. They ensure all students have the best Kaplan Experience through top quality customer service and by making the welfare and safeguarding of students a priority.
- To plan, prepare and deliver lessons in accordance with the standards outlined in the KI Languages Teaching Standards
- To conduct regular tutorials in accordance with the KI Languages Independent Learning policy
- To set homework in line with school policy including exercises on K+ Online and ensure all homework is returned within 1 week
- To produce regular personalised reports on student progress when required
- To promote independent learning via needs analysis, tutorials, support and reports
- To write lesson plans as and when requested by the Director of Studies for example for twice yearly formal observations, inspections or professional development purposes
- To contribute to the development of KI Languages materials though trialling and feedback
- To assist in the testing and placement of new and existing students if required
- To keep accurate and up to date records of work done and materials used in class
- To complete the attendance portal within 10 minutes of each lesson starting (or returning from break) and report any absences according to school procedure
- To provide exceptional customer service to both internal and external customers at all times
- To assist students and others with enquiries and requests efficiently and effectively, and to know where to direct those in need of assistance if unable to provide it
- To be helpful and courteous to students and their representatives
- To have a good working knowledge and understanding of procedural documents and KI Languages policies relevant to the role
- All employees of Kaplan International Languages have a responsibility for data protection. They are obliged to undertake training and have a duty to adhere to our Data Protection policies
- To attend the teachers’ meeting once per week
- To be proactive about both your personal and professional development including attendance/completion of all compulsory training sessions and to actively participate in any training offered
- To undertake other duties as deemed necessary by line manager
- All members of the school team are responsible for all aspects of our students safeguarding and welfare in conjunction with the wider school and company management teams
- Bachelor’s degree
- TEFLI Status - For example via a CELTA or equivalent
- Qualified EFL examiner status (Cambridge/IELTS)
- Experience in administration work (preferably in an ELT environment)
- Experience in developing learner autonomy
- Experience in effective student counselling and tutorials
- Experience in student assessment
- Experience in teaching a variety of levels
- Experience in teaching exam preparation and/or business classes
- Experience in using IWB’s in the classroom
- Experience in working in a customer-facing environment
Competencies (in alphabetical order)
- Ability to develop learner autonomy with students
- Ability to find and present solutions to problems
- Ability to motivate students to achieve goals
- Ability to relate to and build rapport with international students
- Ability to teach effectively, achieve results and inspire students to learn
- Ability to use initiative when required
- Ability to work effectively on an individual basis and as a member of a team
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent IT skills including MS Office
- Excellent organisation skills and ability to multitask and manage conflicting priorities
- Exceptional customer service ethos
- High level of patience and approachability
- Knowledge of IWB programs and educational technology
- Strong attention to detail and high level of data accuracy
Please apply with a CV and covering letter. Closing date: 20th April 2022
The post holder will be required to have a DBS/Disclosure Scotland/Garda Vetting check
Disclaimer and revision date
This is a non-exhaustive list of the duties of the above role and the person specification of the job holder. The Company reserves the right to amend this document as the needs of the business require.
Revision date for this job description: November 2022
At Kaplan International, we are committed to working in a diverse organisation and strive to provide equality of opportunity for all. We encourage and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender reassignment or identity, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnership. If you would like to be considered for an interview under the Guaranteed Interview Scheme, please complete this form or email us on firstname.lastname@example.org
As part of our commitment to safeguarding, depending on the nature of the role, successful candidates may be subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check.
Applicants must be able to provide proof of eligibility to work in the UK.
About Kaplan International Languages
Every year, Kaplan International Languages (KIL) helps over 50,000 students from more than 150 countries to develop and improve their English language skills. With a network of schools spanning 6 countries, KIL has the largest presence of any international language school in the English-speaking world. Our schools are in vibrant, sought-after and convenient locations, providing our students with the right environment to achieve their goals. We offer a wide selection of courses from General English and exam courses through to 8-month intensive programs. Our recommendation rate currently stands at 96%.
As part of Kaplan Inc., KIL is proud to share in the Kaplan tradition of academic excellence, standing alongside other established education institutions like Kaplan Financial, Kaplan International Pathways, Kaplan Test Prep and Kaplan Professional. Kaplan Inc., which is owned by Graham Holdings, is one of the world’s largest providers of education and training. It has an 80-year history of expanding access to academic opportunity and global revenues of more than US$2 billion.