Accounts Assistant – Revenue and Billing
We are looking to recruit an Accountancy & Finance graduate or a part qualified accountant for the role of Accounts Assistant – Revenue and Billing. You will have a good understanding of core accounting concepts and be interested in building a career in finance.
Location: Hybrid – Work from home and London Head Office
About Kaplan International Pathways
Kaplan International Pathways, a division of Kaplan Inc., offers life-changing study opportunities for international students from more than 100 countries around the world. Our university preparation programmes provide a blend of English language training, academic modules and study skills to ensure that students have the skills they need to progress to and excel on undergraduate and postgraduate degree programmes at leading universities. We call these programmes ‘Pathways’. We currently have 10 Pathways colleges in the UK, as well as numerous office locations around the world. In fact, if you gained a degree from a UK university, the chances are that you’ve studied alongside some international students who came through a similar route before entering their degree programme. Our Pathways offering also includes accommodation for students and UK Pathways manages several purpose-built student residences.
About the role
Kaplan International Pathways is looking to fill the role of Accounts Assistant – Revenue and Billing reporting to the Finance Manager – Revenue.
You must have a good grasp of core accounting concepts such as double-entry bookkeeping, income statements and balance sheets. You must have the desire and aptitude to learn quickly how to take responsibility for the key area of revenue recognition across our UK businesses. The role will have responsibility for the processes and controls underpinning revenue accounting activity, including managing the sales sub-ledger. The role will also have responsibility for the dealing with day-to-day queries, questions and problem solving in support to our colleges. The role will be required to ensure compliance with key controls.
The Revenue Accounting team sits within the Operational Finance team of the Kaplan Pathways Finance Department. All teams within finance interact regularly with other business units including (but not limited to) Sales and Marketing, Admissions, College based teams, Student Accounts, Compliance, Legal and IT. The role is critical to our revenue recognition process but also student facing activity through the management of the receivables subledger.
Reporting to the Finance Manager - Revenue, your responsibilities will include:
- Responsible for the revenue recognition for UK Pathways, which includes our Pathways Colleges and our UK Residences
- Manage the invoicing from our subledger to general ledger as part of the month end revenue recognition processes
- Updating students accounts as requested within the subledger to maintain the integrity of student billing in line with our terms and conditions
- Prepare month end journals for other revenue related items
- Responsible for the preparation and active management of our Deferred Income and Petty Cash balance sheet reconciliations
- Monthly work to support the correct accounting within the University of York Limited Liability Partnership including monthly cash reconciliations and transfers
- Ad-Hoc project work around systems and improvements
- Other duties within the scope, spirit and purpose of the job as requested by your manager
Qualifications / Experience
To be eligible to apply for this role you must meet one of the following two criteria:
- have a degree in finance & accountancy; or
- have commenced your studies towards ACCA or ACA, including having already achieved some exam passes.
Behavioural / Technical
To perform well in this role you will:
- have the aptitude to learn new concepts and tasks quickly
- have a high attention to detail and a good ability to self-review your work
- be capable of working to deadlines and being able to manage your workload effectively when there is time pressure (such as month-end and year-end)
- enjoy working with systems, including finance systems, and be interested in process improvement to ensure your work is always efficient and effective
- have strong technical skills with Microsoft Excel
- be a clear and confident communicator with excellent written and verbal skills so that you can work effectively with colleagues in the finance team and across our colleges
What we can offer
The Pathways Finance Team is a wonderful place to work. We have recently moved into a newly refurbished Head Office in London Bridge, on the edge of Borough Market and a one-minute walk from London Bridge underground and National Rail stations. We ask the Finance Team to be in the office on Mondays and Thursdays, with other days working from home.
Our team is an incredibly diverse, welcoming and friendly group to work with. Work life balance is important to us and we regularly review workloads to ensure staff have manageable responsibilities. We encourage staff to bring their full selves to work, and we support this by being supportive and flexible with working arrangements wherever possible.
We will invest in your career development and training, such as sponsoring your journey to becoming a chartered accountant. You will be working alongside a high performing team of finance professionals with varying levels of experience and qualifications. There will be significant opportunities for ad-hoc projects alongside your day-to-day responsibilities.
As standard our benefits include pension, medical cashback plan, ride2work scheme, and discounts at leading retailers and wellbeing providers, financial wellbeing programme.
Please submit a CV and covering letter explaining why you believe you are suitable for the role.
Closing date: 31st May 2023 – please note applications are being reviewed on a rolling basis and we may close the role before the closing date if a suitable shortlist has been gathered.
At Kaplan International, we are committed to working in a diverse organisation and strive to provide equality of opportunity for all. We encourage and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender reassignment or identity, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnership. If as a disabled applicant (as defined under the Equality Act 2010) you would like to request that your application is considered our Guaranteed Interview Scheme (GIS) please let us know using this form
As part of our commitment to safeguarding, successful candidates will be subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check.
Applicants must be able to provide proof of eligibility to work in the UK.
For international students who have the rights to stay in the UK following graduation, we welcome application under the Graduate Route visa.