Deputy Head - Computing
Deputy Head – Computing- Kaplan Open Learning (KOL)
Location: Remote, home-based role which will require occasional travel to a UK location.
Reports to: Head of Department
Employment Type: Full Time – 37.5 hrs/week
Are you an enthusiastic team player with excellent co-ordination and communication skills? Do you have a sharp attention to detail to provide managerial support for academic programmes? Would you like to join a team delivering innovative online academic programmes?
University of Essex Online is a partnership between University of Essex and Kaplan Open Learning, which provides high-quality distance-learning degrees at undergraduate and postgraduate level across Business, Law, Health, Education, Psychology and Criminology. Our innovative and unique online pedagogy uses the latest digital learning technologies to provide a stimulating, effective learning experience for students.
We are now looking to appoint a new Deputy Head who will use their own subject knowledge to develop, monitor and maintain the curriculum content of programmes within the Department. You will take responsibility for associate tutor resourcing including the training and development of new tutors and peer review process. This role is a remote, home-based role which will require occasional travel to a UK location.
We currently deliver 4 Postgraduate programmes, MSc Computer Science, MSc Cyber Security, MSc Data Science and MSc Artificial Intelligence, all with PGDip and PGCert routes. We have plans to further develop our portfolio of courses, which includes collaborations with other departments at the University of Essex Online. This makes it a very exciting time to join our rapidly expanding organisation.
So, we are looking for an exceptional individual who can demonstrate a commitment to student-centred learning through innovative programme developments and support for teaching. The individual should have a flexible approach, be passionate about the Computing subject area and be able to provide excellent educational opportunities to a diverse range of students.
The role includes working with a variety of teams to provide a high-quality educational experience whilst helping to manage and maintain academic quality and standards in line with the University’s policies and procedures. Reporting to the academic Head of Department, you will use your own subject knowledge to develop, monitor and maintain the curriculum content of programmes within the Department. You will take responsibility for various processes within the department.
You will own and be accountable for the development and delivery of degree programmes, working directly with the Head of Department to provide the leadership of the department to meet given KPIs.
- Lead and manage the sourcing and creation of learning tools, information documents and best practice guides relevant to the department and the University as a whole
- Lead the creation/refreshment of academic content, considering pedagogical approaches appropriate for online delivery and sourcing subject experts when required.
- Put forward potential new Associate Tutor appointments and work with the Head of Department to oversee a peer review process.
- Lead Programme Managers and Programme Co-ordinators in the planning and delivery of events and processes from orientation/induction to graduation
- Based on the feedback from students and tutors, create learnings to enhance the student experience
- Working with the Head of Department, ensure content for all programmes within the department is relevant and reflects current academic theory and practise and take overall responsibility for approving proposals for course variations.
- Ensuring that all activities are carried out to the highest standards, and to put in place the necessary evaluation and monitoring procedures to deliver both compliance and enhancement
- Manage the development of proposals for course variations, as well as reviewing all new/refreshed curriculum content and materials.
- Manage the application process for research proposals, review research proposals and attend Research Ethics Committees as appropriate.
- Attend various University panels and committees
- Provide academic and industry input to the application, implementation, and maintenance of PSRB accreditation, where applicable
- Deputise for the Head of Department, particularly a member of key Committee and Board meetings, including the Exam Boards.
- Develop the annual monitoring documentation for the department, including the Annual Review of Courses and Periodic Review documents.
- Champion positive change and keep continuous improvement always front of mind
- Undertake any other reasonable duties that may be allocated from time to time commensurate with the post.
Opportunities for Teaching and Research
Teaching and research are not primary aspects of this role. However, there is the opportunity to undertake scholarly activity and research.
Qualifications and Skills
- A PhD or Master’s degree in an appropriate or closely related discipline, or relevant professional experience
- A recognised teaching qualification.
- Significant teaching experience in a HE environment
- Course design and programme leadership experience in a HE environment
- Strong stakeholder management skills
- Ability to initiate and manage change, a proactive, focused approach with a can-do attitude
- Experience of working in a team and managing a team, with an understanding of the need to be flexible and adaptable, and the ability to respond swiftly to opportunities in partnership with colleagues to achieve common goals
- Excellent organisational skills, methodical approach and attention to detail and accuracy
- Excellent IT skills
- Excellent communication skills, being able to convey information with needs careful explanation or interpretation in the most appropriate format for the intended audience
- Willingness to take on additional projects as and when required.
- Fellowship (or Senior Fellowship) of Advance HE, or willing to apply for fellowship based on experience
- Experience of online teaching and/or delivery.
Benefits (Some subject to eligibility criteria)
- Contributory Pension Scheme
- 25 days holiday per annum
- Life assurance and income protection schemes
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Live Well and Be Well Benefits
- The opportunity to join a division of a successful multi-national education company.
Apply with your CV and covering letter via our online application form. Informal inquiries can be made to Nkaepe Olaniyi (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Application deadline: 20th June 2022
At Kaplan International, we are committed to working in a diverse organisation and strive to provide equality of opportunity for all. We encourage and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender reassignment or identity, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnership. If you would like to be considered for an interview under the Guaranteed Interview Scheme, please complete this form or email us on email@example.com
As part of our commitment to safeguarding, successful candidates will be subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check.
Applicants must be able to provide proof of eligibility to work in the UK.
About Kaplan Open Learning
Kaplan Open Learning is one of the world’s largest and most experienced providers of online degree education. We currently work with two UK partner Universities to deliver undergraduate and postgraduate degree programmes. Our students complete their studies through online learning using our interactive virtual classroom with rich multi-media resources which provide a gateway to a learning community supported by a dedicated academic and professional services team.
Our mission is to continue to transform students’ lives and careers by delivering and expanding our suite of innovative, industry led and career enhancing higher education programmes.