£39,500 per annum + benefits
About the role
We are looking for an Academic Leader who can work closely with the Course Director and team to deliver an outstanding experience for students on the Kaplan Digital Pathways programme. This is a remote role and it is available as a secondment for staff currently employed by Kaplan International Pathways
Our approach to teaching:
At the heart of our educational approach is a belief in supporting students to become independent, motivated learners who will thrive in higher education. To do this, we recognise the need to provide a flexible, responsive experience which meets needs of learners who differ in background, requirements and pace.
Our classrooms are active learning spaces and lessons are primarily student-centred. By introducing students to material before class, we use classroom time for discussion, real-world problem solving and project work, with a strong emphasis on group work and pair work. Technology is embedded into our approach – both physically within each classroom as well as within each curriculum area – from use of engaging multimedia study materials to convey concepts through to online testing in class which allows us assess students’ understanding in ‘real time’. Providing an individualised, differentiated learning experience is also a key strand in our approach. Students are involved in shaping their programme so that they specialise in their area of interest according to their strengths and intended progression route and get the chance to undertake projects personalised to their interest and path.
For many – tutors and students alike - this is a very different model for learning but one which results in highly engaged students who take responsibility for their academic success.
Our students learn in a wide variety of ways, enabling them to develop the behaviours and skills needed for university in the UK. As students move through their programme, teachers will be directing, guiding and supporting them in different ways at different times. The focus will be for students to participate in:
- a range of learning activities including: active learning, workshops, laboratory sessions, online support through the VLE, project-focussed and other Applied Learning tasks as well as more traditional lectures and seminars
- assessment to receive feedback on their work so they may improve, and to arrive at their summative marks. Some assessment will be digital, some non-digital; projects, group and individual assignments will all feature.
- activities with Learning Advisors, including reviewing progress, ensuring VLE engagement and being taking up support/intervention/stretching activities so they can achieve their potential. Students may also be signposted to other non-academic support as needed.
- work to support the development of their e-Portfolio
As Academic Leader, you will be responsible for:
- the student academic experience is of a consistently high standard, is flexible, responsive and meets the needs of all students within an area of the College
- academic standards, including teaching, learning support and assessments within an area of the College
- ensuring student feedback is collected effectively and used to enhance the student experience within an area of the College
- effective selection, management and continual development of a high-performing teaching team to ensure high-quality learning within an area of the College
- the use of learning and teaching resources that support the successful achievement of students within an area of the College
- effective measurement of the student learning experience so that all student reach their potential within an area of the College
- managing a team
- innovation and development of learning and teaching within an area of the College
- Working with both internal and external stakeholders including the relevant university partner/s, regulatory bodies and other Kaplan Pathways teams
To be considered, you will need:
- A strong commitment to student-centred approaches to learning and teaching
- Experience of leading curriculum developments
- A strong commitment to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
- Knowledge of the needs of international students
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong resource allocation and organizational skills
- The ability to analyse data to make informed conclusions
- The ability to work collaboratively across a range of teams
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent and preferably a UK Master’s degree or higher
- A teaching qualification (desirable)
From Autumn 2022, we have offered a digital Foundation Certificate and Pre-Masters through the Kaplan Pathways Digital Programme which is run and delivered online, with support from our existing Colleges. There is a mix of synchronous and asynchronous activities as well as sessions with a learning advisor to ensure students are supported throughout their course.
Kaplan International Pathways, a division of Kaplan Inc., offers international students a wide range of flexible study options - from University preparation programmes in the UK, Australia, USA, China and Japan through to full degree programmes in Singapore, Hong Kong and Australia. Through our academic partnerships with leading universities, our expertise in student recruitment, our exceptional teaching and a real focus on customer service and pastoral care, each year we are proud to welcome thousands of students from more than 100 countries through the doors of our colleges.
In the UK, we operate 9 campus-based colleges in partnership with Bournemouth University, University of Glasgow, University of Liverpool, Nottingham Trent University, University of Nottingham, University of Brighton, University of Essex, University of York and University of West of England, Bristol and an off-campus college in London offering pathways to 8 leading well-ranked UK universities.
A DBS check will be required
Please apply with a CV and cover letter. Closing date: 2nd June 2023. We reserve the right to end the listing early should a suitable candidate be found.
For an informal discussion of the role, please contact Adam Stewart, Digital Pathways Course Director (email@example.com)
- 28 days annual leave*
- Big discounts on Kaplan courses for you and your family
- 24/7 confidential helpline providing counselling and other support services
- Company pension contributions
- Maternity, Adoption, Shared Parental and Paternity/Partner pay which is well above statutory levels
- Medicash Health Cash Plan
*Please note that the annual leave entitlement will be calculated on a pro rata basis if the role is part time.
At Kaplan International, we are committed to working in a diverse organisation and strive to provide equality of opportunity for all. We encourage and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender reassignment or identity, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnership. If as a disabled applicant (as defined under the Equality Act 2010) you would like to request that your application is considered our Guaranteed Interview Scheme (GIS) please let us know using this form
As part of our commitment to safeguarding, successful candidates will be subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check.
Applicants must be able to provide proof of eligibility to work in the UK.
For international students who have the rights to stay in the UK following graduation, we welcome application under the Graduate Route visa.