Night Facilities Officer
Night Facilities Officer
Location: Kaplan Living Brighton, UK
Reporting to: General/Deputy Manager
Hours: 42 hours per week – 8pm – 8am (rotating shifts)
Salary: £21,000 per annum
Kaplan Living is a leading provider of Purpose Built Student Accommodation in the UK. We provide accommodation primarily for Kaplan International Pathways Colleges and Kaplan International English Schools, along with a small provision for University and Direct Let accommodation during the summer.
• To work as a member of the team, providing a front line response in both planned and reactive maintenance
service in accordance with the Service Level Agreement with our stakeholders.
• Issue and regulate stores and cleaning supplies and assist in maintaining correct stock levels.
• Ensure that the working environment is maintained in accordance with the Service Level Agreement,
including keeping the site clean by litter picking on a daily basis, supporting the cleaning staff with rubbish
removal and, when required, clearing snow and ice from pathways and putting down grit
• Undertake duties involving movement of loads (e.g. bins/ white goods etc.)
• Identify and resolve maintenance issues ensuring these are reported using the correct process
• Undertake training as required
• Be prepared to work as part of a rolling roster including weekends including student arrival weekends
• Adhere to the company dress policy at all times
• If a Kaplan College is connected to a residence, classroom set up and maintenance of the college will be
• Deal with any complaints that are received and escalate these immediately to the relevant manager
• Assist with statutory testing including fire alarm testing, fire extinguisher, fire blanket and fire detector
checks, water temperature monitoring, shower head cleaning and emergency lighting checks
• Other duties as commensurate with the post
Health and Safety
• Ensure all equipment is kept clean, well maintained and is a safe working order
• Report any Health and Safety issues relating to the site ensuring all information is passed to the relevant
• Comply with the requirements of Kaplan residence’s and stakeholders operational procedures and policies
including those relating to health and safety
• Understand and observe Kaplan’s site rules at all times
• Wear and maintain personal protective equipment (PPE) in accordance with company policy, COSHH and Risk
• Comply with Kaplan Residence’s statutory fire and safety regulations and to promote good safety habits and
methods of work among the workforce.
• Conduct security patrols to ensure building and students are safe.
• If a Kaplan College is attached ensuring this building is locked up and secure
Student Welfare and Customer Services
• Provide pastoral care to students
• Be the 1st point of contact to residents
• Assist with any Front of House responsibilities including Parcel collections.
• Assist the team with any social activity within the building.
• Be aware of material expenditure and avoid unnecessary waste or loss
• Be able to work within a set budget
Marketing & promotion
• Contribute to, when necessary inward visits from agents/ partners/ parents as appropriate
• Any other duties as required by the General Manager and/ or Deputy Manager
The successful applicant will:
• Have a passion for customer care and a sensitivity to students needs
• Have experience in a customer facing environment
• Have recent experience of working in a maintenance / caretaking role
• Have experience of working in an effective Health & Safety culture in line with legislation.
• Ability to offer flexibility in working hours including provision of out of hours support in an emergency if
Essential skills/ experience
▪ Have experience in customer service, hospitality or student service provision, ideally accommodation
▪ Be able to work as part of a team, and work on own initiative
▪ Budget management.
▪ Ability to prioritise workload and meet deadlines
Our Kaplan Living team lead from the front and by example. If you think you are that person then please send
us your CV along with a covering letter detailing why you feel you meet our criteria above to
Closing date: 7th October 2022
At Kaplan International, we are committed to working in a diverse organisation and strive to provide equality of opportunity for all. We encourage and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender reassignment or identity, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnership. If as a disabled applicant (as defined under the Equality Act 2010) you would like to request that your application is considered under our Guaranteed Interview Scheme (GIS) please let us know using this form
As part of our commitment to safeguarding, successful candidates will be subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check.
Applicants must be able to provide proof of eligibility to work in the UK.
About Kaplan Living
Part of Kaplan Inc., one of the world’s most diversified education businesses, Kaplan Living is a leading provider of Purpose-built Student Accommodation in the UK. We provide accommodation primarily for Kaplan International Pathways Colleges and Kaplan International English Schools along with a provision for University and Direct Let accommodation.