Head of Computing
The University of Essex Online is a partnership between University of Essex and Kaplan Open Learning, which provides high-quality online learning degrees at undergraduate and postgraduate levels across Business, Computing, Criminology, Education, Health, Law, and Psychology. Our innovative and unique online pedagogy uses the latest digital learning technologies to provide a stimulating, effective learning experience for students.
We are now seeking a dynamic, enthusiastic individual to drive forward our suite of university approved computer science masters programmes. In this exciting and challenging role, the Head of Department will use their own subject knowledge in to advance our programme offer considering pedagogical approaches appropriate for online delivery. We are an Educational Affiliate member of the British Computer Science Society.
Applicants with experience in the areas of Computer Science, Cyber Security, Data Science, Artificial Intelligence, and IT Management are specifically welcome.
This role is a remote, home-based role which will require occasional travel to a UK location.
- Line management of direct reports to ensure appropriate resource is available including staff recruitment, training and development.
- Take overall responsibility for departmental programme development including the ongoing monitoring of the currency of the curriculum and maintenance of academic standards.
- Lead on the application, maintenance and implementation of PSRB accreditation where applicable.
- Liaise with the Programme Support Co-ordinators to ensure the Programmes meet the KOL teaching and assessment commitments to the University
- Lead on the annual monitoring processes including the preparation of Annual Review of Courses and Periodic Review documents.
- Ensure content for all programmes within the department is relevant and reflects current academic theory and practise and take overall responsibility for approving proposals for course variations.
- Oversee the review, investigation and outcome process for allegations of academic misconduct and attend Academic Offence Committees as appropriate.
- Oversee the review process for applications for research proposals and attend Research Ethics Committees as appropriate.
- Oversee the review process for requests for Extenuating Performance (EP) as part of an EP Panel.
- Contribute to decision making as a member of the Pre-Board and Board of Examiners.
- Participate in the following committees and boards:
- Act as a member of the Academic Board
- Attend Partnership Quality and Development Committee (PQDC) as and when required.
- Approve new Associate Tutor appointments and oversee a peer review process taking overall responsibility for tutor performance.
- Undertake any other reasonable duties that may be allocated from time to time commensurate with the grading of the post.
Qualifications and Skills
- A PhD in Computing or a related STEM field or, a Masters level qualification in a relevant subject together with extensive senior level experience in a relevant sector.
- Experience of teaching in a Higher Education setting.
- The ability to lead and manage a team.
- Excellent communication and IT skills.
- The ability to prioritise and co-ordinate own workload and work to set deadlines.
- Willingness to take on additional projects as and when required.
- Experience of programme development in the Higher Education sector.
- Experience of online teaching and/or delivery.
- Relevant Professional, Statutory and Regulatory Body membership.
- Fellowship of HEA (Advance HE).
- Research active.
Please apply with a CV and covering letter. Closing date: 15th July 2022
At Kaplan International, we are committed to working in a diverse organisation and strive to provide equality of opportunity for all. We encourage and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender reassignment or identity, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnership. If you would like to be considered for an interview under the Guaranteed Interview Scheme, please complete this form or email us on email@example.com
As part of our commitment to safeguarding, successful candidates will be subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check.
Applicants must be able to provide proof of eligibility to work in the UK.
About Kaplan Open Learning
Kaplan Open Learning is one of the world’s largest and most experienced providers of online degree education. We currently work with two UK partner Universities to deliver undergraduate and postgraduate degree programmes. Our students complete their studies through online learning using our interactive virtual classroom with rich multi-media resources which provide a gateway to a learning community supported by a dedicated academic and professional services team.
Our mission is to continue to transform students’ lives and careers by delivering and expanding our suite of innovative, industry led and career enhancing higher education programmes.